Is It Essential That You Travel Right Now? No? Then, Stay Home.
Let’s start with the fact that Florida has become the epicenter of the Covid-19 pandemic. According to the CDC, traveling right now “increases your chances of getting and spreading Covid-19.” Health experts encourage you to avoid nonessential travel and definitely, “Do not travel if you are sick, or if you have been around someone with COVID-19 in the past 14 days. Do not travel with someone who is sick.”
If your trip is not essential, stay home.
Face Shields Provide More Protection Than Wearing a Mask Alone
Wearing a cloth face mask helps stop your own respiratory droplets from reaching other people; but a face shield protects you from other people’s droplets. In other words, a face mask protects others. A face shield protects you.
Another reason to wear a face shield during your flight is to protect your eyes. A face mask does not protect your eyes from respiratory droplets and an airplane does not allow enough space to keep 6 feet apart from other passengers to meet social distancing guidelines.
Adding a face shield as an extra layer of protection also prevents you from touching your face and inadvertently exposing yourself to coronavirus.
When traveling by plane, it’s recommended that you wear both a face mask and a face shield for maximum protection. Other recommended precautions include maintaining good hand hygiene and keeping your distance from anyone not traveling with you.
How To Properly Use a Face Shield When Traveling By Airplane
- Wash your hands before putting on a face shield to avoid contaminating the shield before wearing it.
- If the face shield allows you to lift it away from your face, only lift it strictly when needed. When the face shield is lifted away from your face it is not protecting you from contracting Covid-19.
- Wash your face shield with soap and water or alcohol wipes after every use. The shield might be contaminated with Covid-19 droplets it stopped from reaching your face.
- Wash your hands after removing the face shield.
- Resist the urge to reach under your face shield while you’re wearing it, to avoid potential contamination.
Miami International Airport Covid-19 Guidelines
Miami International Airport and airlines require the use of masks when traveling. So far Qatar Airways is the only airline requiring a face shield during flight.
- Wear a face covering, as required by Miami-Dade County, and maintain social distancing of at least 6 ft. (2 meters) while traveling.
- Face coverings, hand sanitizer, and gloves can be purchased at several concessions.
- Contact your airline for the latest travel requirements and flight status.
- For MIA latest operational updates, visit our News Room.
- Please see the latest updates from Miami-Dade County.
RECOMMENDED READING: Activities To Entertain Toddlers During COVID-19 Self-Isolation